Saturday, May 26, 2012

7 months of radical reduction: Day Seven

One week down. Three to go. I wouldn't say this first week has been t-o-o hard or frustrating, but simply inconvenient. In our society, social gatherings are almost always centered around food. We gather with friends and family over lunch or dinner. We meet for coffee. We have cook-outs. We go to parties, showers, and weddings. Where people are gathered, there is typically food, especially here in the south. This month alone, I will take part in almost every single one of these events. It is so much more convenient to indulge in it all. Who wants to wait, go home, and cook just to eat the usual?  

I thought it would be hard to be around everyone else enjoying delicious food while I eat the same old food, but relying on God and keeping my mind on higher things has been such a blessing. I'm sure I've said this, but I really like food. I mean I r-e-a-l-l-y like food. Until 7 days ago, I looked forward to each meal of the day, thinking about the delicious food my body will gladly consume. Now, I don't really think about my upcoming meals since I know exactly what it will consist of and how it will taste. This is actually a good thing since it frees my mind up to think of other things. I do still enjoy my 7 foods, but I certainly look forward to a variety again and oh the herbs and spices I intend to enjoy...

Today was a bit challenging, but with challenge comes reliance on God and that is a beautiful thing. The bit of friction that comes with discipline and sacrifice is exactly what I need. It brings me to a place where I fully rely on God and focus on the important stuff, not all of the minor junk (+ each excuse) that creeps into my days. We (the hubby and I) went to the farmer's market today, which is definitely a GREAT place to go on a beautiful Saturday. But talk about temptation...peaches, strawberries, fresh-squeezed lemonade, peanuts, baked goods, ice cream, and did I say peaches. Oh they smelled so good. NONE of these items are on the approved list. We were there with my family, who were enjoying the treasures that the farmer's market has to offer. They even offered to share, forgetting about our 7 foods. I politely declined and rested in the joy of being with family. My brother and sister-in-law were there too, which made it extra sweet. 

In the evening we went to a dear friend's hs graduation, where the speaker shared 1 Tim. 6:6 - "But godliness with contentment is great gain." What a great message...still chewing on that one. We then joined her family out for dinner at one of our favorite mexican restaurants. One of my absolute all-time favorite foods is chips and salsa. Since high school that has been on the top of the snack list. It is why the hubby and  I even go to mexican restaurants. Sad news: chips and salsa are not 7 approved. I sent out a text to friends going through the 7 journey with me and informed them of my impending struggle and welcomed any encouragement. My friends rock. Their comments were great. I leaned on God and simply enjoyed the company, who are quite amazing people. It was such a blessing to eat and fellowship with them. God is so good.  




1 comment:

  1. Love this post! :) And I love how much our hearts are the same.

    ReplyDelete