Wednesday, May 23, 2012

7 months of radical reduction: Day Four

I'm four days into 7 months of radical reduction and my eyes have already been opened. 

The fact that it took days to develop and finalize my list of 7 foods shows that I have s-o-o much around me. It was pretty hard to come up with only 7 foods, especially for someone like me who really, I mean really, likes food. a lot. There are very few things that I don't eat. And even then I don't hate it. I'd just prefer other things. 

In this society I'm not considered filthy rich, yet I have an abundance of food and things surrounding me each day, which leads me to my next point. Being limited to 7 foods has opened my eyes to (1) my eating habits (2) just how much food is at my fingertips each and every day. 

Already, 4 days into it, this month has made me thankful for all the little bits of food and generosity that is sent my way every single day. On the first day, I sat watching family eat pizza and ice cream cake celebrating birthdays (of course I enjoyed their company and didn't sit their drooling). On the same day, I stood around yummy food (just looking, not tasting) and enjoyed watching a sweet friend open up presents in honor of her sweet baby boy who will grace us with his presence any day now. On the second day, left and right I was offered goodies and snacks from coworkers. Let me tell you, there is always food in the work room and it is not always easy to turn down. Cream cheese danish...yum (just 24 days). I realize how often I can grab a little bite to eat and not think about it. After these 4 weeks I hope to continue the routine of saying no to excess food (not all of it, but most, ha). However, I do plan on having a big cup of coffee in 24 days. Is it weird that I come home everyday and smother my nose into a bag of coffee beans? I really miss coffee. 

Having to explain why I can't eat all the things offered to me has brought on several responses:
(1) Really!? That sounds really challenging...how can you do that?
(2) Whoa. That sounds crazy (followed by awkward silences and attempts to say something positive).
(3) Wow! That sounds really rewarding. Keep me updated. I might need to try that out! 

I'm trying to keep in mind what Jen Hatmaker said: "this is suppose to be uncomfortable and inconvenient...because the discomfort creates space for the Holy Spirit to move." 

I haven't been too terribly uncomfortable and just a bit inconvenienced, but I'm sure there is much more to come. I pray that I turn to God more and more in those moments, praying for what is on my heart and thanking Him for all that I have. Unlike many around the world, I get to return to a variety of food before too long. I don't want to take that for granted. 

1 comment:

  1. Ooh,I had not thought to smell coffee beans! Does it help? I was afraid it would make it worse!

    I actually kind of considered keeping coffee off-limits till we were completely done with the whole fast... but I'm not sure I really will!

    ReplyDelete