Friday, July 13, 2012

Clothes


We recently entered month two of the 7 month journey. Remember that 7 month journey of radical reduction? This month I am reducing what I wear down to 7 articles of clothing. Yep, just 7. We are a little loose with the interpretation of one “article” of clothing, but it is still a huge reduction from the norm.

My 7 consists of:
(1) a maxi dress
(2) a pair of dark jeans
(3) a pair of lighter (work) jeans
(4) my heart for Africa t-shirt
(5) a (sorta) teal fitted shirt
(6) my FABC shirt
(7) shoes – wedges, sandals

In regards to clothes month, I resonate a lot with Jen Hatmaker: I’m not a big fashion guru. I don’t have different shoes and accessories that go with individual outfits. I rarely buy new clothes or accessories and I definitely don’t spend a whole lot of money on one item. In other words, you can consider me fashionably challenged. Or cheap. Or both.

However, I won’t deny that I have an undeniably large amount of clothes and shoes stored away in my bedroom. I certainly won’t deny my desperate desire for approval when it comes to the pesky ol’ looks department. All my life I have felt as if I’ve been surrounded by beautiful people. You know, the kind that others either want to be or want to be with. I’m ashamed of how often I’ve let the age-old desire to somehow “fit in” seep into my mind...and make a home. What I let these thoughts do to me…oh, it is just downright shameful.

I know my identity is in Christ, but I am definitely one to get caught up in how I “should” look, according to the world’s standards, at least. The world tells me that I should have my hair just right. I should be skinny and tan (don’t get me started on that, ha). I should wear the latest fashions, which I’m typically not up to date on (remember, lazy and cheap). This society seems to value style and outer beauty more than integrity and character. The evidence for this piles up as I scroll through facebook and pinterest. Not sure about this? Go check it out.

Don’t get me wrong, fashion, style, beauty – none of them are evil in and of themselves. Just look at all of creation. God is the expert on beauty as He created all things beautiful. The problem is that we tend to worship created things far more than we worship the Creator.

My Creator created me in His image (Genesis 1:26-28). I am “fearfully and wonderfully made” regardless of what the world may or may not say (Psalm 139:13-14). God creates beauty and He created me. You know what that means…I am beautiful (as are you, if anyone reads this). God looks on me with pleasure.

This month I want to learn to live this truth. My identity is in God, not clothes, shoes, jewelry, or in others’ opinions of me. I know it won’t be pretty, but I’m ready to confront my weak flesh and so desperately cling to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment